Birchbox Beauty Babble
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” – Marilyn Monroe
Who better to get inspiration from when it comes to beauty than a legend like our girl Marilyn, who could rock a bold red lip like nobody’s business? While we don’t stand on NYC subway grates in flowy white dresses (at least on purpose), the lovely ladies of the NYC Text100 office do love themselves some beauty products. So when a few of us started getting goodies in monthly packages, a larger group naturally joined in the fun.
For background on what Birchbox is check out my overview blog post on Ginger Snap! here. But basically all you need to know is this: it’s a monthly subscription - $10 a month or $110 for a year. You fill out a profile so they know things like skin and hair type, color, how willing you are to try new things, etc. and then send you a personalized, adorably wrapped package each month with 5 or so products. There is a card with a breakdown of each item and prices for the full size products on the Birchbox shop too.
Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with my BB experience. Overall, I’m happy I gave the year subscription a try and I’m definitely more open to trying new things because of it. I’m thinking of trying Ipsy’s Glam Bag next. Hit me up if you’ve tried it!
But don’t take my word for it, check out this feedback from NYC’s fab subscribers and see for yourself. You go Glen Coco, rock that cat eye and sock bun!
- “Some products I’m loving that I found through my BB samples are Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray, Twistbands and Stainiac.” – Sarah DeCamp (@Sarahnyfr, City to Safari)
- “I am not a huge fan. I feel like it’s inconsistent and there are too many repeat products. For example, I prefer to get an anti-aging cream or shampoo and moisturizer once every few months, versus every single month. I do really like my Jouer foundation, which I have now gone on to purchase the full product. However, after having almost a year of the subscription, I’ve only found two products I’d buy full size versions of.” – Colby Jones (@cojo100, Pin it, Live it)
- “For me, I love the anticipation of getting something in the mail (like real snail mail) each month. Overall, I’d say that I enjoy the products I receive each month with some obviously more useful than others. I love the mini perfumes for travel (especially Kate Spade Twirl and Harvey Prince Skinny Chic) and the larger format samples of expensive products. My one gripe is that I’m pretty sure I signed on as having fine hair/in need of volume, and I get a LOT of deep conditioner and hair oils.” – Alissa Carter (@alissac15)
- “I consider myself huge beauty product junkie, so after hearing about Birchbox from a friend, I joined in Nov. 2011. My overall experience has been great – I’ve tested so many new products that I never would have thought about trying before, including: Masqueology Revitalizing Eye Mask, blinc Mascara, theBalm cosmetics Stainiac. I’ve also found products that I now can’t live without, including: Miss Jessie’s Original Stretch Silkening Crème, TIGI Catwalk Session Series Transforming Dry Shampoo and essie Luxeffects Nail Polish.I have a received a few things via Birchbox that I honestly have not touched yet and probably never will – including the wild eye liner appliques and lip tattoos that resemble something you would probably see on Ke$ha. So not my style. I actually recently cancelled my Birchbox subscription. I enjoyed being a member and may rejoin at a later date, but I’m honestly sampled out and have way too many to know what to do with. I also figure I can save my $10 a month and save up for a Sephora shopping spree.” – Lauren Ianuzi (@lauren_ashley86, i’m just sayin)
- “Getting the monthly Birchbox is like getting a present from a secret admirer. I wait by the mailbox for the pretty pink striped box to show up and then rush to open the package. Each one is filled with samples of perfume, skin products and, one month, a Ghirardelli chocolate. I have loved every one and enjoy sharing pictures of the contents on Facebook - just to make my friends jealous!” – Susi Cleveland, Jeff’s awesome and adorable mom : ) (@jeff_cleveland)
- “I like the flexibility Beauty Army (another monthly box subscription) allows. It’s a bit more expensive at $12 per box but you are able to pick in advance exactly what you’d like to receive. Plus, a lot of the products are from hard-to-find brands or are ones I’ve never heard from, so testing is lots of fun.” – Jaimen Sfetko (@JaimenLee, Jaimen Lee)
- "I look forward to getting my Birchbox in the mail each month! I do read over the card because I’m fifty now and I don’t know what all this stuff is. There have been products I’ve enjoyed more than others - my favorites are the perfume samples!" - Kathy Kotary, my also awesome and adorable mom : )